Head of R&D
London or Bicester
RED is a multi-award-winning Design Consultancy whose ambition is to be a key contributor towards the zero-carbon transition as part of an enterprise-wide transformation within ENGIE Impact. ENGIE Impact was created to accelerate the sustainability transformation for corporations, cities and governments.
RED are looking for a driven and experienced electrical or mechanical engineer, with a passion for sustainable design, to lead their growing R&D team. The R&D team within RED are championing research into technology development to facilitate the global energy transition and promote sustainability through innovation. The R&D team are pivotal in supporting our design engineers play their part in reducing the impact of climate change through the promotion and adoption of more sustainable technologies and construction methods.
The role will encompass research, innovation and development. With a strong focus on communication and collaboration with internal and group-level colleagues as well as external interfaces with industry bodies as well as clients.
The role will be supporting both RED’s technology (Data Centre) delivery teams as well as other sectors of the built environment.
Research and Development
- Responsible for leading R&D engineering projects.
- Researches new and emerging technologies. Where appropriate, implement them into generic concept designs, or concept designs that can be adopted by the delivery teams for live projects.
- Be at the forefront of new thinking and innovation of new designs that reduce the carbon footprint of the built environment.
- Support the Energy Transition team within RED in the evaluation and selection of appropriate new technologies to promote within the built environment to facilitate decarbonisation of the energy infrastructure.
- Champion RED’s drive for the development of Net Zero Carbon Data Centres.
- Undertake techno-economic analysis of new technologies to demonstrate their viability for adoption.
- Takes a holistic view in the selection and application of engineering concepts and solutions.
- Responsible for leading the development and design of engineering services undertaken by the R&D team, implementing new ideas and new technologies for Mechanical or Electrical installations, equipment, systems, controls etc.
- Ensures engineering calculations and drawings undertaken by the team meet required robust industry and legal standards.
- Scoping and support in the delivery of in-house tools and apps that support the engineering teams with the adoption of new technologies and design solutions.
- Undertake market studies through review of industry publications and client engagement to understand the needs of the market and application of appropriate technologies.
- Support the project delivery teams in showcasing REDs R&D capability in providing technical content for bid documentation.
- Create designs and engineering solutions that can then be integrated into client projects and then work with the project delivery teams to ensure their successful implementation.
- Co-ordinating with the different business areas within RED to ascertain their R&D requirements and integrate this into the annual R&D programme.
- Working with the wider Research and Innovation teams within Engie on joint research projects.
- Provide technical authority on joint research projects within Engie where they are applicable to the Data Centre domain.
- Responsible for the delivery of RED’s monthly internal R&D seminars.
- Responsible for leading RED’s quarterly business-wide R&D forums.
- Authoring newsfeed articles on R&D for RED’s internal Sharepoint platform.
- Generating technical memo’s on new technologies to be shared with RED engineers.
- Production of research papers.
- Presenting on all of the above, inclusive of general awareness and more detailed training on the implementation of new technologies.
- Present new design solutions to external clients.
- Represents RED at technical meetings with customers, professional teams and supplier or contractors’ teams.
- Working with equipment suppliers to ascertain the viability of new solutions.
- Raise RED’s profile in the marketplace as a centre of excellence for R&D at industry events.
- Provide inspired technical and thought leadership in the field of R&D to create new business opportunities for RED.
- Author and presenter at conferences and other industry events/meetings.
- Generation of whitepapers, webinars and journal articles.
- Day-to-day decision making on project progress and direct liaison with stakeholders.
- Act as a point of escalation for other R&D team members.
- Management, leadership and mentoring of the R&D team.
- Carries out internal cost analysis for R&D projects.
- Preparation of fee bids for any external R&D work.
- Ensures risk and performance monitoring analysis takes place through effective systems of internal control and delegation.
- Support the delivery of projects in accordance with the expectations of the RED Project Delivery Process from a Project Management, Financial Management, QA/QC and Technical Review perspective.
- BSc/BEng plus masters/PHD in appropriate engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- MCIBSE/MIEE + appropriate experience or equivalent.
- Chartered Eng status.
- At least 7 years’ experience in the design of building services.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the design of critical systems.
- Experience in Data Centre design is preferred.
- Experience in managing a team.
- Robust understanding of M&E design from first principles and ability to drive the detail.
- Lateral and innovative thinker.
- Always seeking / identifying opportunities.
- Ability to see the bigger picture and provide the vision for what is possible.
- Confidence to question the status quo.
- Ability to research.
- Technical report writing skills.
- Sound knowledge of key Health and Safety issues and legislation.
- Knowledge of MS Office applications word, excel, powerpoint, teams etc.
- Experience in use of BIM360.
- Ability to use IT based calculation and spreadsheet software.
- Good understanding of BS standards/ UK Regulations/Codes .
- Ability to prioritise workload .
- Ability to drive tasks to a conclusion within the timelines specified.
- Ownership for the delivery of a quality product.
- Leadership & mentoring skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Excellent level of spoken and written English.
- Chairing/facilitation of meeting skills.
- Willingness and flexibility to travel – RED operate globally.
- Background in M&E consulting or construction preferred.
- Good understanding of international working and business operations of a global consultancy.
- Act in an ethical manner and follow the principles of the Ethics Charter and Ethics in Practice Guidelines of the Group.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Our people work in friendly teams with a collaborative approach and mentoring support from talented leaders.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package and are an equal opportunities employer.
Location: London or Bicester