Principal Design Manager -
London / Bicester
RED are an expanding international M&E consultancy, with a proven track record in low energy design, focused on providing excellent design solutions to clients.
We now seek a fully experienced Principal Design Manager to be based in our London or Bicester office with the ability to inspire others. You will have the ability to provide and maintain high quality client facing relationships and internal management, team leadership and project delivery whilst acting with integrity and high professional standards.
- Ensure efficient project, team and external supplier/sub-consultant management within the technology and complex environments sector. Together with the management of projects pre and post contract.
- Ensure compliance and be an active participant in all aspects of quality assurance and project performance in line with the Company’s policy and scope of contract.
- Proactively take ownership of agreed actions, including adherence to technical and project peer and stakeholder review milestones
- Management, mentoring and leadership of the project team
- Support project delivery, team performance and business development
- Ensure project performance and profitability in line with business objectives
- Contribute to the commercial and business planning process
- Support and conduct management and performance reviews for direct reports
- Conduct project and contract reviews to ensure quality and deliver against contractual obligations.
- Ensure programme, project and design procedures and protocols are implemented and adhered to by the design team.
- Manage updates to sub-consultant contracts and prepare final documents.
- Support the ethos and brand reputation of the business and ensure its core values of ethics, integrity, collaboration and innovation are maintained and reflected in daily work.
- Ensure timely and accurate procedures for the management and issue of invoices, together with preparation and updating of WiP and cash flow projections.
- Draft and distribute sub-consultant back-to-back contracts in line with contract scope.
- Information change management and monitoring of deliverables from by sub- consultants to ensure submittals align with agreed scope of works.
- Managing client and stakeholder engagement.
- Agreeing and tracking of approval procedures, ensuring submissions align with client expectations.
- Management of consultation with statutory bodies and authorities including pre-application consultation, planning the engagement process, ensuring integration into the integrated design programme, monitoring compliance and tracking approvals.
- Produce an integrated design schedule following liaison with all Design Team members and including key milestones laid out by the Client. Internal milestones, co-ordination sequences and delivery dates will be shown.
- Monitor design progress and identify areas of risk/ concern that are approaching.
- Identification of design deliverables, who they will be prepared by and when they need to be delivered
- Produce project reports and tracking documents to the client’s requirements, manage input from others
- Chair Project, Programme, and Design Team meetings where required.
- Support the delivery of projects in accordance with the expectations of the RED Project Delivery Process from a Project Management, Financial Management, QA/QC and Technical Review perspective.
- BEng in appropriate engineering discipline
- MCIBSE/MIEE/IMechE Professional Membership
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Chartered Project Professional (ChPP) status
- 10+ Years’ experience at Senior Engineer level or above
- Experience in development and implementation of design management tools and procedures
- Proven experience in excess of 5 years, working alongside Design Teams with a solid understanding and empathy of the design process. Experience of working in a team environment is essential
- Enthusiastic, driven and dynamic self-starter with career progression aspiration
- Ability to forge strong client and supplier relationships
- Ability to keep clear and accurate records and reports
- Ability to mentor and develop and team to achieve project and business goals
- Ability to contributing to the growth of the business via business development
- Ability to work well either alone or as part of a team under own initiative
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the design process
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word/Excel Outlook/PowerPoint)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project or similar Project Programming Tools
- Ability to use it based calculation and spreadsheet software
- Appreciation & working knowledge of contract law
- Proven project and design programming skills
- Proven ability to deliver high value projects with fees up to £5m in value.
- Adaptable, proactive approach to tasks
- Flexible and willing to travel regularly to service international projects and customers
- Client facing with strong presentation skills
- Commercial and financial awareness and management of projects and fees
- Ability to work autonomously, as part of a wider team, and leading a team
- Comfortable leading and developing a team
- Ability to prioritise own workload and work to deadlines
- Sound knowledge & working application of key health and safety issues and legislation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Chairing/facilitation of meetings
Salary commensurate with experience.
Our people work in friendly teams with a collaborative approach and mentoring support from talented leaders.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package and are an equal opportunities employer.
Interested applicants may send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: London / Bicester