CDM Principal Designer / Group Health & Safety Advisor
London / Bicester
RED are an expanding international M&E consultancy, with a proven track record in low energy design, focused on providing excellent design solutions to clients.
We now seek a fully experienced CDM Principal Designer / Group Health & Safety Advisor to be based in our London office with the ability to plan, manage and monitor the Pre-Construction phase, to co-ordinate Health & Safety. This is a dual role with the anticipated time split being 75% on project work as CDM Principal Designer and 25% acting as Group Health & Safety Advisor.
- Assist the client in identifying, obtaining and collating the pre-construction information
- Provide pre-construction information to designers, the principal contractor and contractors
- Ensure that designers comply with their duties and co-operate with each other
- Assist client in validating health & safety credentials of contractors
- Organise design risk workshops and review designers risk assessments
- Liaise with client representatives, Principal Contractor and contractors with respect to health and safety
- Review of Principal Contractors information, including:
- Construction Phase Health & Safety plan
- Site induction
- Information to be incorporated within the Health & Safety file
- Prepare the Health & Safety file
- Submit F10 on behalf of client
- Undertake CDM site audits on behalf of client
- Undertake lessons learned workshops
- Provide Management support on H&S matters
- Responsible for minimising or removing the risk of accidents, work-related illnesses, and injuries in the workplace.
- Support the Group H&S Team in maintaining and update of the H&S management system policies and processes and drive continuous improvement
- Promote employee understanding and compliance to the H&S management system policies and processes
- Support implementation and monitoring of H&S KPI’s and metrics
- Management of H&S incidents and investigations
- Conduct office H&S hazard identification and risk assessments
- Support staff with completion of risk assessments and method statements for site activities as and when required
- Review H&S legal and contractual compliance requirements of outsourced services to contractor and subconsultants
- Carry out H&S Induction for all new employees
- Deliver internal H&S training
- Conduct H&S Committee Meetings and record actions and outcomes
- Present actions and outcomes of H&S Committee Meetings to local Management Teams and the Company Board
- Prepare informative health and safety reports
- Support external H&S audits and ISO 45001 certification renewals
- Provide marketing and bidding teams with health and safety information
- Maintaining third-party procurement portal H&S data
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role with a focus on H&S
- ISO standard knowledge and experience beneficial
- Stable career background
- Knowledge of MEP building services would be useful
- NEBOSH / IOSH qualification
- You have proven experience of developing and supporting H&S processes
- Ideally to have experience of appropriate H&S procedures in an engineering consultancy environment in the construction sector and specifically relating to site visitors and professionals compared to contractors and site operatives.
- You can drive H&S improvements across the board
- Ideally to have working knowledge and experience of the UK Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and their applicability to design consultants in the built environment.
- You understand risk assessment and mitigation methods and ability to identify the most effective techniques and tools to use
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and oral
- Experience of having worked for an international consultancy (desirable)
- Sound knowledge & working application of key H&S issues and legislation
- Knowledge of MS office applications word, excel etc.
- Good understanding of British Standards
- Ability to prioritise own workload and work to deadlines
- Presentation and training skills
- Fluent English speaker (essential) with other language skills (desirable)
- Facilitation / Chairing of meeting skills
- Knowledge of Mechanical and electrical building systems preferred
- Working knowledge of CDM, PUWER, COSHH, LOLER, MHSWR etc Regulations
- Ability to co-ordinate with designers and contractors
- Delivery of contract and program management - managing contractors’ progress, information, and document flow etc.
- Ability to use IT based calculation and spreadsheet software
- Act in an ethical manner and follows the principles of the Ethics Charter and Ethics in Practice Guidelines
- Background in consulting or construction preferred
- Good understanding of H&S within an international business / consultancy
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Our people work in friendly teams with a collaborative approach and mentoring support from talented leaders.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package and are an equal opportunities employer.
Interested applicants may send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: London / Bicester