Principal Power Engineer (Data Centres) - London
RED Engineering is a dynamic and innovative company at the forefront of the data centre industry.
We specialize in delivering cutting-edge engineering solutions to enhance the efficiency, reliability, and sustainability of data centres. As we continue to expand, we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Principal Power Engineer to join our dedicated Power Systems Team.
As a Principal Power Engineer at RED Engineering, you will play a crucial role in the design and optimization of power systems within the data centre industry. Your primary responsibilities will include running computer simulations, supporting design teams, and ensuring the reliability and efficiency of power distribution systems. We are particularly interested in candidates with expertise in ETAP, although experience with DigSilent or SKM will also be considered.
1. Simulation Expertise:
- Conduct load flow analysis to ensure optimal power distribution within data centre facilities.
- Perform short circuit analysis to assess the integrity of the power system under fault conditions.
- Coordinate protection systems to enhance the reliability and safety of the power distribution network.
- Execute arc flash studies to mitigate risks and ensure compliance with safety standards.
- Conduct harmonic studies to minimize power quality issues and optimize system performance.
2. Collaborative Design Support:
- Collaborate closely with the design teams to understand project requirements
- Work closely with design teams to provide expert insights and support in power system aspects.
- Assist in the evaluation and selection of electrical equipment for power distribution.
3. Transient Stability Studies:
- Experience in Transient Stability studies would be an advantage, contributing to the resilience of the power systems under dynamic conditions.
4. Documentation and Reporting:
- Validate input data to ensure accuracy and reliability in simulation results.
- Prepare comprehensive reports detailing simulation results, recommendations, and design considerations.
- Review models and reports produced by the team.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation related to power system simulations and design support activities.
- Promote and participate in proper management processes.
5. Continuous Professional Development:
- Stay abreast of industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of simulation methodologies and tools within the power systems team.
- Contribute to expanding the simulation capabilities of the team to meet demand.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Power Engineering.
- Proven experience in power systems engineering, preferably within the data centre industry.
- Proficiency in simulation software, particularly ETAP (preferred), DigSilent, or SKM.
- Experience with Load Flow, Short Circuit Analysis, Protection Coordination, Arc Flash, Harmonic Studies, and Underground Cable Sizing.
- Experience in performing Transient Stability Studies is desirable.
- Experience in performing Earthing Studies is desirable.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the models of main electrical machines, including but not limited to generators, transformers, motors and UPS.
- Experience in both LV and MV systems, ideally HV up to 132 kV.
- Strong knowledge of power systems control and SCADA systems.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication and collaboration abilities.
RED offers a variety of benefits, including but not limited to:
- 23 days annual leave rising to 28 days annual leave over 5 years’ service
- Holiday purchase and buy back scheme
- Hybrid Working
- Contributory company pension scheme
- Healthcare Scheme via salary sacrifice (Company funded cover is dependant on level)
- Non-contractual bonus awards
- Training sponsorship
- Charity volunteering leave
- Wellness days/ initiatives.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Our people work in friendly teams with a collaborative approach and mentoring support from talented leaders.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package and are an equal opportunities employer
*The role will ideally suit those with the right to live & work in the UK without restrictions, as we are unable to offer sponsorship at the present time.